Easy Fish Biriyani Recipe – മീൻ ബിരിയാണി – Fish Dum Biriyani2017-09-11
- Yield : 1/2 kg Biriyani
- Servings : 4 people
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 50m
Easy Fish Biriyani Recipe – മീൻ ബിരിയാണി – Fish Dum Biriyani
Easy Fish Biriyani Recipe
Recently I read a quote about biryani: ” I can’t make everyone happy all the time. I am not biryani ! ” That is really true, right?
Till now I have not met anybody who don’t like biryani eventhough there are different versions like vegetable biriyani, chicken biriyani, mutton biriyani, prawn biriyani, fish biriyani, beef biriyani, paneer biriyani, palak biriyani….
Here I am presenting Easy Fish Biriyani with king fish. Fish Biriyani can be made in different methods using different ingredient. I make the Biriyani after frying the Fish. Not all Fish is good for Fish Biriyani. Big fish with flesh like King Fish, Pomfret and Hamour tastes awesome.
Tips to make tasty and easy fish biriyani
1) The fish has to be cleaned very well to remove the fishy smell. The tip to remove the smell is by coating the cleaned fish with lime juice and salt. Then keep aside for 10 minutes and clean the fish again in running water.
2) Rice has to be washed in advance and kept drained to get dried for at least 1/2 an hour.
3) The rice is made in advance and then this rice is layered with Fish Masala. After this there is a traditional process of steaming over coals called as doing “dum”. I am doing this process in a clay pot and in my gas cooking range oven. This really adds taste
4) I use more coconut oil and very less ghee to make this biriyani which gives a special flavour.
5) The biriyani masala should be prepared with the same coconut oil which is used for frying the fish. This will help the masala to retain all the flavour of fish.
Fish Biriyani is one of the Best Seafood Recipe. Do try this quick & easy Biriyani Recipe! Do let me know how it went.
If you would like to know about any recipes of your choice please write to me on RyhanaAtCookeryShow@gmail.com
- To fry fish:
Cleaned king Fish - 1/2 kg
- Lime juice - 2 tbsp
- Red Chilli powder - 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil to fry fish
- To make Biriyani Masala:
Coconut oil - 4 tbsp
- Ginger paste - 2 tbsp
- Garlic paste - 2 tbsp
- Onions chopped - 3 big
- Tomato chopped - 1 big
- Green Chili - 8 to 10 (As per your taste)
- Coriander leaves - 10
- Mint leaves - 10
- Lime juice - 7 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tbsp
- Garam masala - 1/4 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- To prepare rice:
Rice - 1/4 kg (2 and 1/2 glass rice)
- Water - 5 glass
- Coconut oil - 3 tbsp
- Cinnamon (Karugapatta) - 5 piece
- Cardamom (Elakka) seeds - 5 piece
- Cloves (Grambu) - 5 piece
- For seasoning:
1 big onion chopped
- 12 cashew nuts
- 12 dried grapes
- Mint leaves - 10
- Ghee - 3 tbsp
First step is to marinate the cleaned fish for 1/2 an hour by coating the fish with red chilli powder, lime juice, turmeric powder and salt to taste.
Heat oil in a pan and fry the fish. Don't deep fry, but have to be fried moderately.
By the time your fish is getting fried you can make the rice. Heat coconut oil in a thick bottomed bowl. Before we start ghee rice preparation, we can fry the seasoning items (onion, cashew nuts and dried grapes) and keep aside. To prepare ghee rice, add Cinnamon(Karugapatta), Cardamom(Elakka) seeds, Cloves(Grambu) and rice to the oil. Then stir fry it until rice gets separated from each other. Please take care that the rice should not get brown color when you fry it.
Meanwhile, boil water by adding adequate salt required to cook the rice. The ration of rice and water is, for 1 glass rice - 2 glass water.
Once the rice is fried, add boiling water to the rice and adjust salt. Then stir well and cook the rice in low flame with lid closed. Occasionally stir the rice. Once rice is cooked switch of the flame and keep aside.
Now the third step is to make the masala.
Before you start cooking make paste of Ginger, garlic and green chilli by adding 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil. Make another paste of onion and tomato by adding 3 tablespoon water.
In the same oil in which we have fried fish sauté ginger, garlic & green chilli paste first. Saute for sometime. Then add onion and tomato paste followed by chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves.
Once this is sautéed well add lime juice, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt to taste.
Sauté for 5 more minutes and slide fried fish to this gravy. No need to add extra water as water will ooze from tomato mixture. Slowly coat the fried fish pieces with gravy.
Allow to cook for 10 minutes in very low flame with lid closed. Your Biriyani masala is ready!!!
Last step is to do biriyani dum.
Grease a dry clay pot with ghee. Layer ghee rice and fish masala by adding some fresh mint leaves, fried seasonings and some ghee in between the layers. On top add some fried seasoning and a spoon of ghee. Close the clay pot tightly with an aluminium foil.
Bake in gas oven at 170 degree for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes your easy and tasty fish dum biriyani (മീൻ ബിരിയാണി) is ready to serve.
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1 people rated this recipe